Tuesday, June 15, 2010

slaw variation with water chestnuts and sour cherries

Second to slow-broiling in the sun (and yes, I've done my share of baby oil basted, slow cooking), come summer I savor the adventure of inventing recipes using up leftover produce in my refrigerator. Thanks to my brother Brandon, I gathered an interesting mix of ingredients this evening while the chicken breast was doing the cooking instead of me.

This slaw recipe was inspired by Mollie Katzen's "The New Moosewood Cookbook" originally published in 1977. I learned of it after more than one recipe was copied to me from Susan Darling, including one for Gypsy Soup, which happens to include the unexpected combination of sweet potatoes, tomatoes and cinnamon. This was the cookbook I grabbed first for slaw inspiration, and needn't look further. Here is my twist on the Carrot-Yogurt Salad on page 72.

SLAW VARIATION WITH WATER CHESTNUTS AND SOUR CHERRIES
Coarsly cut or chop the following:
4 cups napa cabbage
2 medium-sized carrots
remainder of a small head of raddichio
1 small leek, including most of the greens
1 clove garlic

Whip the following in a glass measuring cup until smooth, then toss with the chopped vegetables:
8 oz. plain greek yogurt
8 oz. real mayonnaise (a household compromise)
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
pinch of celery ceed
dash of lemon pepper
sprinkling of coarse salt
a bit of dried ginger

Add the following additional ingredients and toss until coated with dressing:
1 small can drained, sliced water chestnuts
1 chopped, unpeeled gala apple
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 tablespoons dried sour Michigan cherries

Chill briefly to let the flavors meld, and enjoy with whatever if coming off the grill. A simple rice pilaf, leftover pita and ginger curry hummus from market were the perfect compliment, alongside my current house favorite wine, Yellowtail Chardonnay.


No comments:

Post a Comment