Saturday, December 20, 2008

joe's graduation from penn state, "wings over the susquehanna," and that amazing bean dip

Joe graduated from Penn State the Saturday before Christmas and all the family, grandparents included, joined in the celebration - congrats Joe!  A party was held at the gallery, and friends and family from all walks of his life attended.  Faced with the challenge of feeding many over several hours, I ended up making a recipe (times 4!) of one of our family favorites.  It seemed fitting, as I think Joe lived on this regularly cooking for himself at Penn State.

baked refried bean dip
Preheat oven to 350% and grease a 13 x 9" pan with cooking spray.  

Spread a 32 oz. can of refried beans evenly on the bottom.  

Add the following ingredients in layers:
8 oz block of neufachel cheese, cut into about 12 pieces, spaced evenly apart
16 oz jar, or 2 cups of your favorite salsa, poured over top
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese, or any combination of hard cheeses leftover in your fridge, shredded

Bake in oven on center rack for 20-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.  Use it to fill tortilla shells for dinner the first night, and as a snack with nacho chips the second night.  If there is still some left over, throw in leftover rice and make bean tacos or burittos.


wings over the susquehanna"
When Jenna graduated from DeVry a few years back, I gave her a small painting by Ned Wert - the artist's work she seemed to respond to most when she came in the gallery to visit me.  In giving it to her, I mentioned, if I'm doing my job right, this would be an investment, and increase in value over time!  

I asked Joe which artist he was interested in, and he immediately said, "Brad Stroman."  I knew immediately which painting I would select for him, the title seemingly the perfect send off for my second child reaching this important moment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment