Saturday, October 24, 2009

market day repast

Sometimes, the best foodie moments are the simplest.... roasted pepper hummus, fresh red grapes and authentic middle-eastern pita bread from Central Market in Historic Downtown Lancaster. Central Market has for decades been one of my favorite places on earth - the sounds, smells, people, emanating from this Romanesque Revival market house built in 1889 permeate some of my favorite memories. Living downtown five years of my early marriage, I traveled the ten blocks to market with my first child Jenna in a snuggly every Tuesday and Friday. I prided myself in "living off the market", venturing to Giant only for things like diapers and other sundry items.

When Joe came along, I packed him in the snuggly with Jenna in the stroller, and piled every spare spot with groceries for the walk home. The walk was an architectural feast along Duke Street, and we often stopped by Watt and Shand Department Store, or the Marion Art Store along the way. Each of my four children had their first outing at about 5 days to the market, a tradition I intend to continue when the next generation comes along.


This particular day, David and I found ourselves in Downtown Lancaster for Lorelei's karate exhibition in the old Watt and Shand building, now the Lancaster County Convention Center and Marriot Hotel. For lunch I took them across the street to market, and we had a simple picnic in Steiman Park, complete in fall's colorful splendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment