Monday, September 15, 2008

Conundrum, salmon and corn on the cob

The best food and visiting seems to happen spontaneously.  I stopped by Betty's to drop off some flower pots I'd borrowed - actually, she offered me beautiful flower arrangements after a gathering as she was heading to Maine for the summer.  I tend her plants while she is gone, and she tends me in my moments of anxiousness and uncertainty - "How can we reframe this?" she'll say, offering up the recommendation that perhaps I need to look at something differently.

Anyway - Saturday evening, I stopped by to find her in the kitchen reading the paper, chatting with Ted, and drinking Cosmos.  They offered me a glass of wine - "Conundrum", a California White Table Wine, from Sonoma, I believe.  Lovely full finish.  One glass led to another, then to an invitation to dinner.  I called David, as I had left him at home constructing the Butler's Pantry - his latest project.  He arrived to salmon, corn on the cob, and fresh tomatoes/mozarella/basil drizzled with balsamic and olive oil.  I happened to have half a peach/raspberry pie in the car left from the previous evening, and we shared it for dessert.  

Delicious food and drink led to challenging, thoughtful, and open conversation on all sorts of things.  We left entirely saited, thoroughly inspired, and crawled in to bed at home around midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment