Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Barak Obama's Inauguration Day

I headed to Philadelphia in the morning for class, somewhat put out to think I would miss the Inauguration speech and have to wait for re-runs.  It dawned on me, however, as I boarded the train, I would arrive around 11:30 and not have to be in class until 12:30.  Whoopee!  I'd just hang out at Bridgewater's Pub at 30th Street Station and catch the speech there...

I entered to find I was early enough to get a stool right at the bar, and pulled up eagerly in front of the television to catch up on the festivities.  Taking up the seat at lunchtime, however, obligated me to order something, so I had Tomato Bisque with club soda and lime, followed by a strong, hot, Earl Gray tea.  The bisque was delicious - thick and perfectly seasoned, with shavings of parmesian and fresh basil on top.  I'll have to keep this in mind when the day has been long, and I'm waiting for a train - what a treat, especially on a bitter, cold day.

As the ceremony proceeded, I found myself feeling an intense pride in my country, and blessed to be a citizen where democracy is valued and power is passed so peacefully.  When Barak Obama was sworn in, the entire collective in the bar stood and clapped.  It was a wonderous moment, not soon forgotten.  Such joy - and hope for the future.  I found myself doing the Snoopy Dance the rest of the day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment