Monday, February 2, 2009

Chicken Ceasar Salad

This is one of my favorite comfort foods, and can be made rather quickly.  The little bit of preparation is a welcome task after a long day.  I find myself to be more grounded when I take time in the kitchen - the mindless multi-tasking with David or the kids nearby, washing dishes as I go (yes, I'm a neat freak in the kitchen) - music of my own choosing (I live with teenagers, so this is rarely the case) and a glass of chardonnay put life into perspective.  

Bake two boneless chicken breasts in a bit of olive oil, white wine and garlic - about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size at 350 degrees.

Meanwhile, prepare the salad in a large wooden bowl, starting with a fresh clove of garlic cut in half and rubbed into the bowl.  Mince what is left of the garlic and 1/3 cup olive oil into a 2-cup glass mixing cup - set aside.

Break 1-2 stalks of romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces - enough for two large servings - and about 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesian cheese and 1/2 cup croutons.

Add to the oil and garlic just before servning:
2 tbs. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 fresh egg

Whip with a fork or egg whip until frothy.  Pour over the lettuce and cheese and toss until distributed throughout the bowl.  Serve in large pasta bowls with chicken breast slices and capers.

The earlier french bread recipe is delicious alongside this salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment